Wednesday 30 May 2012

3 Lessons I Learned in the Slums today...

Ok, So this is Mary Kamau, the founder of Missions of Hope schools, next to me; and the other woman is Isabella, a Social Worker who has dedicated her life to helping students with special needs in the slums of Mathare Valley. And it is an uphill battle I am here to help fight....
 But today I learned three valuable lessons:

1.  A Mattatu is a small van or bus with a crazy driver, and a man hanging outside the sliding door, which never closes, hitting the side of the  bus to tell it when to slow done and pick up people or drop them off. along the road, and you pay for the ride! ...However, they rarely stop...and when they do slow down, they speed up very quickly...so....I learned that  after you jump on and as soon as your foot hits the floor of the van, you better hold on tight or you may fall on the other passengers laps (like I did); I am sure they were just saying ,"Look at the Muzungooo (white person)"  

2.  I learned that toilet tank water makes great hand washing water...when you do not have any other running water..I am just grateful for a flushing toilet!

3.  In construction in Africa, nails can be re -used..you just need a hammer, a cinder block and someone willing to straighten nails all day!

Amazing, nothing goes to waste!  We could learn alot from these people...

2 comments:

  1. Yes we Americans do waste alot - it is a shame. I like Jim's advice about going to the -( was it the hotel?) - and getting a good meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lessons I like hearing about rather than experiencing. Carry on, Lois!

    ReplyDelete