Friday 22 June 2012

The Cycle of LIfe

So, if you live somewhere long enough, you will experience the cycle of life and death. The first week I was here, I met a cute little boy who was deaf, Amos.  I also met his mother and father.  His father had been very sick and had just come home from the hospital.  They seemed very happy.  Well, when we went to do a follow up home visit this week, we found out the father had passed away on Monday, due to his illness. It is so sad.  We are encouraging the mother to come to Pangani and join the sewing class.  The life and death cycle is so much quicker when people are living in the slum conditions…

Amos with his Mom and Dad

AND another tragic event happen yesterday.   One of the Missions of Hope 52 -passenger bus, with a team on it, was driving slowly out of one of the schools, through the village, and two drunk people were kidding around, and one of them fell under the bus and was killed.  The team riding the bus was devastated.  Both the bus and the driver were taken to the police station.  This is the same village where we just raised a new church on this past Sunday. The devil is hard at work but God is good.  Usually, when this happens, they village people pull the bus driver out and beat him and terrorize the passengers, but this time the village people surrounded the bus, protecting it and the bus driver, until relief arrived to take the them back to Pangani.  The bus driver was released from jail, after about 6 hours…he said he was witnessing to the people in the jail cell with him.  God has a plan. Although we cannot always see or understand his plans, we need to trust that we are right where we belong.  I trust him.
AND the other day, on our way into Pangani, we saw a crowd had gathered in the street outside the school…after conversation with people, we found out that a thief had been caught and the “Mob Justice” was beating him to death.  He was most definitely killed.  These tragedies are just part of life over here.  That is the only way they know how to live. 
 I realize on a daily basis, that I surely cannot fix everything, but the small things I am doing will have great positive consequences in the future and will positively effect many children’s, familie's, and teacher's lives…. I am well protected and never feel like I am in any danger, even though I may walk through dangerous areas, I know I am protected. I am eternally grateful, Father.  I will keep on my mission.
Kenyan teachers doing assessments, with an intern assisting
   I have trained five Missions of Hope teachers how to do informal assessment of children.  These teachers all have taken some Special Education courses at the college level, here in Kenya and they currently work at MOHI....What a blessing. I hope to use them in the new Resource Room, and replace them in the classroom with new staff...It is all coming together. Thank -you God.         

2 comments:

  1. Lois, what a blessing you are. Both to those you are helping in Kenya and to those who read you blog.

    Nancy Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure my last post made it here or not...I am a fellow Crossway member and am greatly moved by your blogs. You inspire me sister. I have shared some on Facebook to show people powerful work is needed and being done by Faithful people like you.

    ReplyDelete