Monday 18 June 2012

The Things I miss about America.... I am Home Sick.....


June 18, 2012

             So I have been away for 24 days and I have 59 more days here. Homesickness is definitely settling in.  Life here is so different. And they do not even know. For me, I know what my life was back in America, brushing my teeth with sink water, driving my car on the right side of the street listening to The Message on my Sirius radio, stopping at the store to run and grab some milk and eggs and some fresh fruit, parking my car at work, laughing with office staff, dinner out if I want, going to Zumba, watching my TV shows, Dancing with the Stars, Criminal Minds, or going to the movies, calling my friends, my sister or my Mom, on the phone just to say Hi, easily navigating the internet with break net speed, taking a nice long hot shower, and jumping into bed (without crawling underneath the mosquito netting every night).   Here there is none of that. There are some stores, of course, but your handbag gets checked by the security guard and his security wand, and the products are simply not the same.  The peanut butter is extremely expensive, as is any chocolate, there is no Hershey’s brand here. I see the meat in the glass case but I wonder, how long was it unrefrigerated….and it sits next to the intestines and the liver and sardines. But mostly there are street vendors where whole cows hang for up to three days and intestines look like pink snakes hanging in the window.   I just walk on by.  I miss my music, you would think I hear it all the time, but Pandora radio does not work over here, the internet is very slow, so I am left to my own mind, trying to remember those church songs I used to sing every Sunday morning, and the songs on the radio, they are fading in my mind….Weight Watcher’s has gone out the window because they eat so many carbohydrates, mashed potatoes, rice, boiled corn starch (ugali), then there is the kale and spinach and beans.  I love it when American teams come over to the house to eat because Dinner is always a treat….maybe spaghetti with meat sauce (kind of) or Mexican, with guacamole and salsa (kind of), they try…..and Fresh fruit  for dessert.

I miss home....
But this is what keeps me going.....

Life is simple here yet so difficult. So simple it is hard to imagine going back to America where all this is at my finger tips.  But I really miss it all. 

1 comment:

  1. Lois,
    I found when I left the US in 2009 to visit and live in Argentina, that the excesses we have here are unthinkable in other countries. When I returned the tidy well manicured green lawns and the huge cars truly seemed a waste, although I enjoyed seeding and mowing the lawn of my home in previous years. I feel it is important for North Americans to see how other live to have a healthy perspective. It is really great that you are sharing your experience and stories, and I've enjoyed seeing your images and reading your reflections. Wow. You are a positive and courageous person and I am sending you my best wishes.

    Sarah Johnson / krhs hockey!

    ReplyDelete