Wednesday 4 July 2012

Celebrating Independence Day in Kenya

        4th of July in Kenya, well, it is a little different....I woke up and wished myself a Happy day, then off to work I went to see the front page of the daily paper with Headlines that read "Somali Attack on Kenya Imminent" ,  "Al Kada forces sure to attack" and "Casualties still rolling in from the Kenyan Church bombing" .  It is very strange to be in a country that is fighting a war. I have seen many , many more Kenya military, on the side of the road,  at key intersections with their machine guns over their shoulder.  Kenyans take these threats very, very seriously. 
Girls at church
         But we must continue on our day.  I know the Lord has me in his arms.  Soooo, it just wouldn't be 4th of July without a cook out and, some long term missionaries, Keith and Kathy Hamm, had a cook out at their house tonight..they served cheeseburgers (although good cheese is hard to come by, and lettuce is a luxury), chips and Brownies and cake..Yummy... and I led the large group of 50 visitors in singing God Bless America, and you know, I really felt it, Thank you God for Blessing America..... Kathy said when she was at the butchery, buying the hamburger, she told the  butcher he might want to stock up on hamburger because the 4th of July is America's Independence day and Americans might be buying more burger...and do you know what he said...he said, " Well true democracy must be celebrated"  So Celebrate our great country.  Let's not forget how great it really is.....I will never take it for granted again.

1 comment:

  1. People's appreciation for the history of the US is humbling. May we live up to it as a people. I beleieve it will take some repenting from the "I" ideology which captivates so many of us these days.

    ReplyDelete