Thursday 12 July 2012

Success Stories...Closing the Circle

       My new motto this year is Close the Circle, that means whatever I start, I need to assure that it gets finished, checking with everyone involved until the very end.  So here in Kenya, we met a parent and her child has clubfoot.  She did not know what to do. We referred her to the clinic, we assured she went to her appointment, and now her son is being treated for free. His clubfoot surgery went well.  Here he is with his casts on. 

Casts for two months

        They will stay on for two months, then he will wear foot braces. Below , on the right, is a second child we are working with.  He is done with his surgery and now in phase II. He will wear these foot braces for 2-3 years at night.
Braces for 2-3 years at night

       Another story...when we met Nicole, she was constantly crying, her mother said she never stops crying and it has lasted four years.  The mother continually tries to console her daughter. As I looked at the child, I felt she was having ear problems. We told the mother to bring her child to the clinic.  One of the teams was holding a free medical clinc that week at the school. The mother followed through and brought her child to the clinic. The mother was given ear medicine.  We told her we would be back to assess after the medication was finished.  Ten days later, Guess what?  Nicole's ears cleared up, she can hear now and she has stopped crying....the mother was amazed and so happy. And the stories go on and on.....

                Another success story....I met my sponsor child and her family again this year..."By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" Alma 37:6
My sponsor child, Winfred Nduko Mwende, 7 years old

          Another success story..... I took up driving in Kenya. Wow, what an experience. The steering wheel is on the right hand side of the car and you drive on the left hand side of the road. Thankfully, the gas pedal is still on the right and the brake pedal is still on the left.  With all the Matatu's and crazy drivers, I really need to concentrate. But I just had to learn....Just to say I did it!!!
          Also, I attended a Pre Wedding Ceremony on Sunday. It was a fund raiser for someone's wedding.  The funny thing was, they auctioned off these chickens...and some eggs, and an umbrella......I am definitley in Africa.... 
            

Chickens for Auction at a Pre Wedding Ceremony
 
Life in the slums.....

       
Life in the slums is  difficult,  but they do not know any other way. So you wake up in the morning, and go to work if you have a job, otherwise, you sell your goods on the road, or beg, or steal, and do your laundry, next to the sewer that runs through the slums;  hang it out to dry and go find food.        I am honored to be here serving for God.  "The course of our lives is seldom determined by great, life-altering decisions.  Our direction is often set by small, day-to-day choices that chart the track on which we run.  This is the substance of our lives - making choices". ( Stand a Little Taller, 2001).  
          I will close this circle and leave behind a sustainable Special Education referral, assessment, and support system for this school and community....I have five more weeks to finish the task....I  guess I will have to come back to see the fruits of my labor blossom and change lives forever...I haven't even left and already I am thinking of coming back....but that is how it goes.       

3 comments:

  1. You are a Blessing!. I love reading your blog.
    Nancy Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy every moment Lois! God bless you and the work you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am honored to be here serving for God." Wow-those are awesome words Lois. I love reading your blog and for some unknown reason each time I have tried to comment on your daily stories it just wouldn't allow me to publish my comments....but know that you are lifted up to the throne each day by all of us on your prayer team back here in New Hampshire. God Bless...your Crossway sister in Christ-Deb St Clair

    ReplyDelete